In a year where holiday celebrations are expected to look different amid the coronavirus pandemic, Aldi is bringing back its popular wine, beer and cheese Advent calendars along with some new additions.
The discount grocer announced Monday in a Facebook post that it will start selling more than 20 Advent calendars and holiday countdowns Nov. 4 and that it is “designating the first Wednesday in November National Advent Calendar Day.”
To get your hands on one of the limited items, which in past years have sold out quickly with some landing on eBay, you’ll have to go to one of the 2,000 Aldi stores in 36 states with a caveat: Not all states or municipalities allow alcohol sales at grocery stores.
The retailer says in its frequently asked questions that the calendars cannot be ordered online and will not be available via Instacart.
The calendars are used to count down the days of Advent, the religious days leading up to Christmas Eve.
“More recently, Advent calendars have become a popular way to mark anticipation of the holiday season at large,” Aldi said on its website, noting it will offer “Dog and Cat Treat Advent Calendars, 12 Days of Irish Country Cream Calendar and a 7-day Sparkling Wine Countdown to New Year’s Day.”
Traditionally, the calendars have been simple with fold-back flaps revealing treats like chocolates but in recent years have evolved to include more options ranging from spirits to beauty items. Last year, Tiffany’s had a jewelry-filled Advent calendar with a price tag of $112,000.
This is the third year the wine calendar will be available in the U.S. The 2020 Collection Wine Advent Calendar will cost $69.99. It’s the second year the beer calendar will be available in the U.S. for $49.99.
The hard seltzer calendar debuts this year for $34.99, according to Aldi’s Facebook post. Prices may vary by location.
The Sparkling Wine Countdown to the New Year calendar will go on sale Dec. 2 for $24.99 at participating stores. It includes seven mini bottles of sparkling wine to drink starting Christmas through New Year’s Eve.
Aldi Advent calendars will not be restocked and supplies are limited. Use the store finder at www.aldi.us/stores to see what stores sell alcohol.
Aldi Advent Calendars 2020
The following calendars will be available starting Nov. 4:
- Emporium Selection Advent Cheese Calendar, $14.99
- The 2020 Collection Wine Advent Calendar, $69.99
- Beer Advent Calendar, $49.99
- Vista Bay Hard Seltzer Advent Calendar, $34.99
- Choceur Premium Advent Calendar, $4.99
- Choceur Advent Calendar, $1.39
- Nutcracker 24 Days of Christmas, $7.99
- Barissimo Coffee Advent Calendar
- Mattel Barbie or Little People Advent Calendar, $24.99
- Spin Master Paw Patrol Advent Calendar, $19.99
- Pure Being Premium Dog Advent Calendar, $5.89
- Pure Being Premium Cat Advent Calendar, $5.89
- Huntington Home Advent Calendar Candle, $4.99
- Huntington Home Scents of the Season Candle Set, $19.99
- Disney/Marvel Book Advent Calendar, $9.99
- Hot Wheels or Cars Advent Calendar, $16.99
- Bee Happy Craft Advent Calendar, $12.99
The following will be available Nov. 25:
- Moser Roth 12 Days of Christmas Advent Calendar, $4.99
- O’Donnells 12 Days of Irish Country Cream Calendar, $29.99